Horrifying Details Emerge About Alleged Abuse Of Cain Velasquez’s Son In Daycare, As Accused Molester Roams Free. How Many Kids Were Actually Abused?
A pre-trial hearing earlier this week and a civil lawsuit filed by former UFC champion Cain Velasquez revealed horrifying details of the alleged abuse suffered by the fighter’s four-year-old son at the hands of a 43-year-old male daycare worker. Harry Goularte, the son of daycare owner Patricia Goularte, was released on February 25th without bail after being arrested and charged with committing lewd acts upon a child under the age of 14. However, the allegations against Goularte are far worse than the charges seem to reflect and it is unclear whether police are investigating allegations by Velasquez that Goularte abused other children at the daycare.
Police testified during Velasquez’s hearing this week that Velasquez told them he believed Harry Goularte molested other children in the daycare that was run by Goularte’s mother. The fighter told an officer that his four-year-old son’s behavior drastically changed after the alleged molestation.
Velasquez filed a civil suit against Harry Goularte and described more alleged details in those court documents. Back in February, the fighter’s son told police that Goularte touched his genitals after taking him into the bathroom and said Goularte told him not to tell anyone, according to court records. The court document alleges that Goularte may have touched Velasquez’s son inappropriately “100 times.” Velasquez’s son also told police he witnessed Goularte take other children into the bathroom too.
The suit filed by Velasquez, which asserts claims for sexual battery, says Goularte and his mother “fostered and maintained an environment” where children could be molested, sexually abused and harassed.
Goularte pled not guilty to the charge of committing lewd and lascivious acts with a minor and his trial is set for September.
It is unclear whether prosecutors or police who are focused on prosecuting Velasquez plan to investigate further allegations of abuse levied at Goularte by interviewing other children from the daycare. It is also unclear whether more charges will be filed against Goularte and what action, if any, is being taken to ensure that the alleged molester is kept away from children while he awaits trial.
Velasquez is accused of embarking on an 11-mile high-speed chase of a car carrying Harry Goularte, his mother Patricia and stepfather Paul Bender back in February. Police say Velasquez rammed his Ford F250 into the side of the car and then fired a handgun into the car, striking Bender, who sustained non-life threatening injuries.
Velasquez is facing charges of premeditated attempted murder, shooting at a motor vehicle or aircraft, assault with a firearm, assault with a deadly weapon, willfully discharging a firearm from a vehicle and carrying a loaded firearm with intent to commit a felony .
The fighter was detained in jail since February and denied bail three times. Meanwhile, Goularte was set free on bail following allegations of molesting a child. Tuesday, a judge finally granted Velasquez bail at $1 million dollars, warning him not to violate the provisions of his release.
“Mr. Velasquez, I would not release you if I was not convinced that upon a release at this time, eight months later, that you would be a danger to Harry Goularte primarily, Patricia Goularte, or Paul Bender,” Judge Arthur Bocanegra told Velasquez, via MMA Junkie. “If you are as devoted a husband and father, I’m confident and have to believe you will not jeopardize anything that would take you away from your son, your daughter, your family. I hope you don’t prove me wrong.”
Velasquez left the courthouse and jail in smiles.
“Just feel blessed,” Velasquez told local station KRON-4. “Ready to go home, be with the loved ones, family, friends and make something positive of this whole situation.
“Just thank you to everybody who had my support. I love all of you. Just always continue to be better as a person, always do good things and just make something positive of this terrible situation. My family and I, we’re going to do that.”
Velasquez’s attorney, Mark Geragos, claimed in court that the alleged incident was a crime of passion and not premeditated or planned in any way. However, Geragos’ motion to dismiss the premeditated attempted murder count was denied. The judge ruled a crime of passion defense may be viable later on if more evidence is presented and ordered the case to go to trial. Geragos has also mentioned CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy) and TBI (traumatic brain injury) as possible defenses to explain Velasquez’s alleged actions.
Scores of fighters showed up to support Velasquez at the hearing and a #freecain movement and hashtag has gone viral on social media with many sympathizing with Velasquez’s alleged pursuit of the man who allegedly molested his son.
When Velasquez was finally granted bail after eight months, his wife embraced him in a touching scene in court, as the fighter prepared to go home to his son and family. His lawyer made mention to the judge that Velasquez’s son needed him, even more so following the alleged abuse the son has endured.
“It’s been a long slog and I am very grateful,” Geragos told ESPN. “Nothing is as touching as watching him having it sink in with his wife, Michelle, there.”
Velasquez will be required to wear a GPS tracker, surrender any firearms and stay at least 300 feet away from the alleged molester and seek counseling as well as outpatient treatment for TBI and CTE. He is due back in court November 21st.
Velasquez, who has also worked as a professional wrestler, joined the UFC in 2008 and was 12-3 with the promotion. He won the UFC Heavyweight title in 2010 after beating Brock Lesnar and again in 2012. He defended the title twice before losing it. He last fought in February 2019.