Brett Favre’s SiriusXM Radio Show On Hold Following Welfare Fund Scandal Allegations

Syndication: USA TODAY
Brett Favre has said he didn t know the money he received came from welfare funds. Xxx Sline Brett Favre 081020 Dcb Jpg

As sports fans on social media continue to comment on Brett Favre’s alleged role in the Mississippi welfare scandal, Favre’s radio show “The SiriusXM Blitz With Brett Favre and Bruce Murray” on SiriusXM Radio has been officially placed on hiatus.

The radio show reportedly goes live every Tuesday, and its final episode was recorded on September 13th. Mississippi state attorneys have filed suit seeking to regain over $20 million in allegedly misspent welfare funds from the ex-quarterback, Governor Bryant and others. According to Mississippi Today, a series of text messages have surfaced that could potentially contradict Favre’s claim that he had nothing to do with a federal welfare scandal that has been called “the largest public corruption case in the last two decades,” by the state’s auditor.

According to new court documents, Favre was allegedly aiming to obtain millions of dollars to fund a new volleyball stadium at Southern Miss. His daughter played for the team at the time. Court papers claim that Governor Bryant allegedly warned Favre by texting him “any improper use could result in violation of Federal Law” and that the auditors were currently reviewing the usage of the funds. Favre allegedly refused to accept no for an answer, and “continued to press” for the state to lend funds for various projects, according to court documents.

“We obviously need your help big time and time is working against us. And we feel that your name is the perfect choice for this facility and we are not taking No for an answer! You are a Southern Miss Alumni, and folks need to know you are also a supporter of the University,” Favre allegedly texted.

“We are going to get there,” Bryant texted back. “This was a great meeting. But we have to follow the law. I am to[o] old for Federal Prison.”

Rodney Bennett, the former president of Southern Miss, had reportedly told Bryant that he had warned Favre “not to do the things he’s doing to seek funding from state agencies and the legislature.”

The $70 million the state received from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program was originally meant to help needy families. The state demanded Favre and others repay the money, plus interest, via the Mississippi state auditor. Among those also accused of being paid in federal welfare funds for activities and projects that did not legally qualify for such funds, are former WWE Superstar Ted DiBiase Jr., former Oklahoma running back Marcus Dupree, and fitness trainer Paul LaCoste.

DiBiase was allegedly paid $3.9 million to also serve as a motivational speaker. NBC News reports that LaCoste and Dupree were paid a combined $670,000. The state auditor called the misspending of Mississippi’s federal welfare funds the “largest public corruption case in the past two decades”. Favre has reportedly repaid the fees, but allegedly still owes the $228,000 interest fee that the auditor also demanded.

Favre claims that he had no knowledge of where the money he received had come from; however, newly entered evidence shows Favre allegedly asking whether the media would be able to find out where the funds he was going to receive had come from. The exchange between Favre and nonprofit group founder Nancy New, loosely indicates Favre may have known where the funds were coming from and had concerns the public would find out. New pled guilty to 13 felony counts related to the scandal earlier this year.

Fox News has more HERE.

Tags:

Categorized: